The origin of Mayberry, Nebraska, started shortly after 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Gartner and family came to Nebraska and settled in Steinauer Precinct, Pawnee County, Nebraska, on Rock Creek. The sons, Henry J., Charles, Louis, and George, would take farm produce from their farms and neighbors to Nebraska City and Brownville to trade for supplies. After the Burlington built through the northeast part of the county, they would go to Tecumseh with their farm products. On account of this they established a sort of trading post that led to building a store and laying out the town of Gartner when the Rock Island Railroad was built through their farm in 1887.
The town was platted by Peter Gartner (3 blocks) and April 13, 1898, George Gartner platted one block and added it to original town of Gartner. On Nov. 28, 1899, F. S. Bennett added two full blocks on the north and a 3 1/2 block strip on the west side of Gartner. The same year Wenzl Kamen added 3 1/2 blocks north of the northeast corner of the town.
The New Home Post Office was moved to Gartner. Mr. C. A. Mayberry was responsible in getting the move; the post office was named Mayberry, and the town's name was changed. Rock Island built the first depot in Mayberry in 1899. Andy Rucker built and operated the second store. Wenzl Kamen built the third store, across the street, for a doctor's office, barber shop, and general store on first floor and a community hall on the second floor. Later Mr. Kamen built a lumber yard and the second grain elevator. This was located off of the railroad siding since there was already a grain elevator on the railroad siding. The first elevator on the railroad siding was torn down in about 1914, and the other elevator was moved on the side track location. The town had a livery barn at one time. There was a brick factory around 1910 or 11. The railroad had a section crew at Mayberry to 1908 and a depot agent to 1924. A church was built in 1899 and was all paid for when completed. The post office was closed in the 1930's and the last store [also] closed.
During the period of 1895 to 1910, Mayberry had its most growth and business volume.